Identify possible negative connotations associated with names that may be introduced into both foreign and domestic markets. Save time and money by uncovering foreign meanings for a name, with services provided by trained local linguists.
Identify possible negative connotations or meanings of names at any time during the naming, screening or clearing process. Use Connotation Check to ensure that the name you have selected for use and/or trademark protection is culturally appropriate.
Connotation Check can help guard against a negative reaction to your trademark or name both internationally and within the United States by determining how a trademark or name would be interpreted in another language or culture. For example, a Connotation Check for the mark TINDRA may reveal that, in Japan, the local pronunciation, "tin-dora" may be associated with a specific type of Japanese sweet called "dorayaki"(see reverse).
A trained local linguist in each country provides a summary of findings including:
- Dictionary meanings
- Pronunciation Issues
- Appropriateness of the name
- Potential meanings and associations
- Quick opinion of how mark/term would be received
Coverage / Sources
Connotation Check-Country Coverage
Select an individual country or choose from several package options.
- Canada (English)
- Canada (French)
- China/Hong Kong (Cantonese)
- China (Mandarin)
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- Singapore (Min Chinese)
- South Korea
- Taiwan (Mandarin)
- United States
Connotation Check Regional Packages
- E.U. Regional Package
- NAFTA Package
- South America Regional Package
- Americas Regional Package
- Scandinavia Regional Package
- Baltic Regional Package
The Thomson & Thomson Difference
- Our extensive network of associates knowledgeable in local languages and customs throughout the world provide invaluable expertise.
- Consistent reporting from multiple countries in a standard, easy-to-read format
- Open late to fit your schedule
- Experienced, expert search analysis
- Tailored services to suit your needs
- Ongoing commitment to meet today's and tomorrow's research needs
- Worldwide online trademark resources
- Innovative new research solutions
- Save time, money and potential embarrassment by launching a product or service correctly from the start.
- Ensure a successful product launch or renaming by developing a solid understanding of your target market(s) from locally based sources.
- Connotation Evaluation: Take Connotation Check to the next level—find out how a sampling of the public responds to your proposed name.
- International Identical Screening Searches: By country, region or worldwide with WISS/RISS/KISS.
- International Availability Searches: Comprehensive searches of your proposed trademark in any of more than 200 countries.