Canadian Full Availability Search
A comprehensive search to determine the availability of your proposed trademark for use and registration in Canada. This search locates identical trademarks, variant spellings, phonetic equivalents and similar marks from the Canadian Trademark Register, Common Law and Domain Name sources.
Use the Canadian Full Availability search to provide information needed to form opinions about marks that will be used or registered in Canada:
- Assess the strength of a mark for acquisition or licensing purposes.
- Avoid infringement of existing trademarks.
- Support trademark litigation by identifying identical and similar trademarks and domain names that could bar the use or registration of a trademark.
- This search includes historical information, including precise status and date information and opposing and interested party information and translations of French language text.
- We search official trademarks protected by Canadian law for every Canadian Full or Canadian Register Search.
- Canadian clients have the option of ordering the report in English or French.
Coverage / Sources
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) records (1867 to present)
- Expired, canceled or abandoned marks (to present)
Common Law and Distinctiveness Sources
We search for trademarks that may not be registered, but may be protected under Common Law rights. Sources include:
- Trade directories, trade journals, association listings and buyers guides.
- Registered Canadian corporate names from NUANS database and official provincial registers
- Dun & Bradstreet� databases
- Thomson & Thomson's extensive proprietary database, containing trademarks collected and updated from more than 300 trade publications.
- Domain Name coverage including the generic top-level domains: .ca (as available from the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA), .com, .net, .biz, .info, .org, .edu, .net and .gov.
- Compilation of litigated trademark cases published in the Canadian Patent Reporter since.
- Searches conducted by Thomson and Thomson's highly trained and experienced analysts use the most complete and current sources in the industry.
- Citing of critical references helps ensure that you make the most informed search evaluations.
The Thomson & Thomson Difference
- Data verification and enhancements for industry-leading data accuracy
- Current and comprehensive coverage
- Advanced, proprietary search system
- Open late to fit your schedule
- Experienced, expert search analysis
- Tailored services to suit your needs
- Ongoing commitment to meet today's and tomorrow's research needs
- Worldwide online trademark resources
- Innovative new research solutions
- U.S. Full Availability Search: Comprehensive search covering U.S. Federal, State and Common Law sources as well as Business Name and Domain Name sources.
- Identical Screening Searches: Broaden your trademark search by country, region or worldwide with WISS/RISS/KISS.
- Connotation Services: Ensure that a selected name is culture appropriate.
- Worldwide Watch: Protect your valuable trademarks from infringement.